Click here for a link to the Sunday readings: Sept. 24, 2017 (usccb.org)
Questions on Matthew 20:1-16
Read vv.1-2. Imagine you’re one of the laborers.
- What’s it like to work in a vineyard? Is the work easy or hard?
- When does your day usually start? When does it usually end?
- Do you usually do this kind of work?
- How do you feel by the end of the day?
- How do you feel when people show up hours later to work alongside you?
- What do you expect to be paid?
Read vv.3-9. Imagine you’re hired late in the day.
- Why weren’t you hired earlier?
- How does it feel to be hired?
- Do you have family responsibilities?
- How do the other laborers treat you?
- Do all the laborers work at the same pace?
- How much do expect to get paid?
- What is your opinion of the landowner?
Read vv.10-16. Imagine you’re the landowner.
- Why do you keep hiring people?
- Why do you pay everyone the same wage?
- What do the people you hired last say to you when you pay them?
- How do you feel when the other workers grumble?
- Do you make the same choices in the future?
- What insights does this parable offer you?
Want more? To download discussion questions and commentaries on the first reading and the Gospel click here: Sept. 24 – Twenty-Fifth Sunday in Ordinary Time